LOCATION:

Greenville, SC

AREA:

15,000 SF Renovation

72,000 SF Addition

In 2016, CGD began a master plan of First Presbyterian Church’s campus which includes 180,000sf of space over three city blocks. The plan proposes the removal of an education and activities building followed by the renovation of 15,000sf of existing building and the construction of a new 72,000sf four-story structure. The program includes a gymnasium, a worship & arts auditorium, facilities for youth and adult education, and significant expansion of “gathering” spaces for fellowship between worship services and special events.

The design concept centers on the development of a new public access, urban courtyard designed to serve as the primary entrance to the church and as a passive activity area that includes green space, shade trees, a water feature, and seating. The Washington Street edge will provide a vehicular drop off that leads to primary entrances at the ground level. A small coffee shop will activate the courtyard and serve as a place of public engagement. The open and transparent central gathering space will overlook the courtyard from the second level and create a hub to connect internal worship and activity spaces.

For over 30 years Craig Gaulden Davis has served as the Architect for First Presbyterian Church Greenville whose sanctuary was constructed in 1851 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.